Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tequila as a Culinary Tool

One of the things I've been playing around with a lot lately in my kitchen is tequila.  It started out as just something i had in the liquor cabinet to make a margarita with, and it quickly turned into my favorite go-to for dozens of recipes. 

Tequila is a distilled liquor made from the blue agave cactus.  It can only be produced legally in Mexico, and only in a couple of states, and it is generally distilled to a strength of 61-110 proof.  Tequila has a very unique and distinct flavor to it. It's very very strong and noticeable, but not so strong that it drowns out the original flavor of the food you're cooking it with if you do it right.  Obviously, if you overdo it with any sauce or seasoning, you're gonna drown out the flavor, and with something as strong as tequila, moderation is definitely the key.  This distinct, cactus based liquor is especially great in seafood, one of my favorite things to cook with it.  Saute your shrimp in a little butter and some select seasonings, add some tequila and lime juice when they are just about done, finish cooking, drain off the liquid, and you have something great to zazz up a boring plate of pasta.  Sausages are another great use of tequila.  Baste them and grill, or just saute some cut up cooked sausage, eat or add to pasta, and enjoy. 

Sauces, on the other hand, are a great use of tequila.  I'd stay away from the cheese sauces with this one, personally, but I know from experience that your favorite stir fry sauce will burst if you add just a little tequila to it.  Tomato sauces come alive with just that extra little kick that comes with a couple ounces of it, and tonight.....well tonight I'm gonna try and add a bit to my butter sauce and see what happens.  

A final note before I close.  When cooking, I definitely go for the cheap stuff.  Almost all of the alcohol will be lost in the cooking process.  What goes into my pans, honestly, generally comes from the 8 dollar special at Pick and Save.  Save your Cuervo for the margaritas you will serve your guests.  To follow this article will be a recipe for Margarita Shrimp.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment